Sunday, September 25, 2005

Dopo Miss Italia nera, un papa nero ... non mi par vero


[... Continued from the post "Oh my god" in the home page]


Yes, Jesus apparently had sexual thoughts about women: he was tempted by Magdalene. He resisted to her temptations though and helped the woman to change her life-style, but he was definitely attracted by her.

Actually, a priest would explain you that Jesus is in fact the incarnation of both woman and man... So, his sex in this sense is relative. But, still, in flesh he was a man.

As to his real appearance, the matter is controversial. He was born in Middle East, but the official iconography has always depicted him white and with blue eyes. Last June, my dad and I took my English friends to the Sanctuary of Loreto, where the house believed to be Maria's abitation is conserved. According to the legend, it was brought to that town by the angels. Inside the stone shrine (scientifically proved to be holy house), there is the statue of her, who is sacred and venerated by pilgrims for her long record of miracles. This statue is black: it is a black woman in a gold dress covered in jewelry. I asked my dad the reason, and he told me that, according the tradition, it was white in origin, but became black for the exhalation of all the pilgrims' breath in that constrained space.

Now, I appreciate the fascination of this explanation. But the statue is pitch black and shiny. I found this very intriguing, and revealing something.

From Above: Madonna di Loreto
before the fire; and the reconstruction
after the fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home